Blog Posted on 13/01/2023 | Author: Karen Macarthur
Tennis Betting 101: How to Bet on Table Tennis
If you’re into indoor sports, you might have tried table tennis. But have you ever thought about wagering about this sport?
Betting on table tennis has started gaining momentum in the past few years, though it’s still to reach the level of popularity its “cousin” enjoys. So, if you want to know how to bet on table tennis, here’s a beginner’s guide that covers everything you need to get started.
Basics of table tennis
Before placing bets on any sport, you need to understand its basics. And table tennis is no different. Here’s a quick rundown on the main rules of table tennis:
- A table tennis match takes place between two players. Each player is on either side of the table.
- Each player in table tennis has two serves. The serving takes place in an alternating fashion.
- A standard table tennis round is played for up to 11 points.
- If a game gets tied at 10-10, a player needs to win by 2 points.
- The winner in a table tennis match is usually decided by using the best of 5 game system.
- The racquet used in this sport needs to be black on one side.
- The diameter of the small ball is around 40mm.
- As for the table dimensions, the table used is 9 feet in length and 5 feet in breadth. The height of the table is 2.5 feet.
- The net used in table tennis is 6 inches high.
Table tennis betting – The market types
Now that you know the basics of table tennis, here’s a look at some of the most common table tennis betting types:
Also referred to as the Moneyline bet, this is a simple wager on which of the two players or teams will win the match.
This is a highly popular table tennis betting market. Here, players wager on whether the total points in a given match will be above or below a predetermined number.
This betting option gives better odds by adding some additional risk. Instead of wagering on a single result, players must guess two results here.
Player total points
As the name implies, this betting option allows bettors to wager on a player’s total winning points.
Live table tennis betting
As with other sports betting options, many of the table tennis bets discussed earlier can be placed only before the commencement of the game. But with live table tennis betting, punters can place bets when the match is going on. The odds here keep fluctuating as the gameplay action unfolds.
Major table tennis countries and leagues
The ITFF World Tour, hosted by International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), is the most prestigious event in the table tennis world after that are the European Table Tennis Championships that take place between the member nations of the European Table Tennis Union (ETTU).
Other leagues that have gained popularity due to the rise of table tennis betting include the TTSTAR SERIES, Setka Cup and Win Cup. Another popular table tennis competition, whose matches take place at undisclosed locations, is the Moscow Liga Pro.
Countries like Belarus, China and the Czech Republic regularly host table tennis matches. Players from China have always ranked top in table tennis, but recent times have seen the emergence of some great athletes from Russia and Ukraine as well.
Table tennis betting tips and strategy
As a sport, table tennis is still emerging. So, planning a perfect strategy to wager on table tennis is challenging. Many players need to be known to the common punter. So, it’s hard to find out whether you should or shouldn’t go with the betting lines.
Still, there are a few things that you must pay attention to when betting on this sport. They include:
- Player rankings – Going through the player rankings will help bettors get acquainted with the sport’s top performers.
- Playstyle – Some players find playing against their left-hand opponents challenging. So, checking the play style is important.
- Player fitness – As with any other sport, players are only sometimes in their best form. As such, checking the fitness stats can help you make more informed betting choices.